Joomla is a free open source content management system. It is estimated to be the second most used CMS on the Internet after WordPress. As of July 2013, this CMS has been downloaded over 35 million times. There are several Joomla hosting providers on Joomla official site, among which Arvixe is a popular one. This time, we’d like to start an Arvixe review to figure out whether it is worth signing up or not.
Arvixe has been bringing affordable Linux web hosting services to personal and professional clients since 2003. In the earlier years, this company has received many awards from industry authorities such as HostReview and the Inc Magazine for being one of the fastest growing hosting companies in the world. But in recent years, this web host seems to be in the downhill, receiving a lot of complaints from their new and old customers.
Depending on our editors’ personal experience with Arvixe Joomla hosting, we have worked out a review on its affordability, features, reliability, performance and technical support to figure out whether Arvixe could support Joomla well.
Affordability – Not Expensive
Arvixe has released 2 hosting packages named as PersonalClass and PersonalClass Pro, both of which are at very affordable price. The cheaper PersonalClass is priced at $4/mo. Frankly speaking, their hosting charges are not costly.
Besides, Arvixe guarantees all customers 60 days refund, which enables them to ask for refunds in the case of canceling their accounts within the initial 60 days. With such a guarantee, the purchase is risk-free and worry-free.
However, once you request for the refund after the 60 days, you cannot get the pro-rated money back that is offered by most top-level web hosts.
Joomla Hosting Extras – Have Pros and Cons
Arvixe offers a large number of add-ons and free extras to help users gain an easier experience in starting and managing a Joomla website. The extras, including the following ones, value over $400 USD when calculated in total.
- A free domain for life which can save you over $100 if you stay with Arvixe for a long time.
- $100 advertising credits for Google AdWords & $100 voucher for Yahoo/Bing marketing.
- Free automated R1Soft backups performed daily.
- Free CloudFlare CDN which accelerates the website performance in the world scale.
- Free brute force detection, firewalls, security updates and DDoS responses.
However, there are some secrets behind these free extras.
- This web host claims not to restrict your usage of disk space and bandwidth. However, the truth is that Arvixe sets some rules on the usage of server resources in the Terms of Service pages.
- The $200 advertising credits for Google, Bing and Yahoo are valid for US and CA residents only.
Features – Enough Already
There are plenty of things to concern when choosing an appropriate Joomla web hosting. Fortunately, Arvixe hosting package contains all the features that customers need to run their Joomla websites stably and smoothly.
- Unlimited disk space and monthly data transfer enable customers to get a lot of space and bandwidth to manage their websites.
- With the latest versions of MySQL and PHP, customers are able to get the right server configuration needed to run Joomla.
- Owing to the script installer named Softaculous included in the cPanel, users are able to not only set up Joomla within seconds, but also update the application easily.
- PHP runs as suPHP in Arvixe servers to increase the website security.
- Apache mod_rewrite is installed by default to make URLs search engine friendly.
Performance – Not Good
Arvixe claims to guarantee the 99.9% uptime. However, according to our testing, their hosting performance is not as amazing as some popular web hosts. It is true that this company owns more than 10,000 dual quad high performance Dell servers with RAID-10 storage in the advanced data centers. But as tested, their uptime record is 99.75% only.
As for performance, the result is also not satisfactory. In the past months, the sample Joomla site needs around 697 ms to respond the server requests.
Security – No Big Issues
The Joomla hosting solutions offered by Arvixe have been secure. This web host equips all servers with advanced firewalls to filter traffic, and utilizes a DDoS response mechanism. As the servers feature RAID 10 disk arrays, even if the data on one disk is damaged due to security or other unexpected reasons, your website can still stay safe.
In terms of individual websites, Arvixe provides SSH, SSL, SFTP and more to help keep them secure. You can also install a private SSL certificate on your Joomla site. Note that the SSL certificate is the shared one. If you are looking for the private one, you should pay extra $25 per year.
Technical Support – Really Disappointing
Arvixe has been offering 24×7 US based technical support via phone, live chat and email since it was established. In addition, there are some useful articles with much information about Joomla hosting in Arvixe knowledge base.
It seems great, but based on customer reviews and our real experiences, their support service is really disappointing.
- During the midnight, their support team is hard to reach.
- When encountering some complicated issues, the phone support and the live chat support are always useless.
- The email support always requires hours to reply.
Arvixe contains all the important features for Joomla users to start and run their websites well. However, when it comes to the most core aspects of technical support, hosting speed and uptime guarantee, Arvixe is not the good option.
If you are looking for a web host that ensures the same level of feature offerings and charges as Arvixe, we recommend you to try the following options.
Learn more at http://www.bluehost.com/
Learn more at http://www.inmotionhosting.com/
Learn more at http://www.webhostinghub.com/